Once everything was constructed, we set about priming and painting the supers so that we could get them in place prior to the ground freezing. We also didn’t want to be painting beehives or positioning our boxes in 3 feet of snow. Better to be proactive!
We primed the boxes with two coats of white, outdoor primer, followed up with a “sky blue” finish. Apparently bees aren’t fond of hives that are too dark, so we tried to keep it as “cheerful” as possible.
Helpful tip, rather than painting each box individually, stack them as you’d have them in the hive. Then simply roll on the primer and paint. It makes the entire process go exponentially faster, and all you need to do to keep the boxes from sticking together is reposition, or “crack” them before they dry.
You’ll notice that we have 2 hives with 2 large supers and 2 medium supers. When we actually get our bees we’ll start with only two large supers in each hive until the bees have some time to establish themselves. For now we’re keeping the remaining boxes outside as well since we’d prefer to not keep them in the garage where there are gas/oil fumes that may deter the bees.
Ultimately we’ll store the extra equipment in a shed… which hasn’t been built yet (another project for the spring).